Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Power of Intention


Amazing things happen in everyday life. I'm not talking about headline events. I'm talking about the insanely ordinary happenings of life that give meaning to the word intention.

This week my sister's divorce became final and my dear friend Nan married the love of her life. For each the outcome is the same. Deep satisfaction with a life choice to be true to oneself. My sister was married for 25 years to the same man. Nan has more than one experience with love and marriage. Both speak to me about a sense of calm and peacefulness. Both hold an intention to be happy and whole. Their paths though different have brought them power and a sense of self that radiates through the phone.

We have wonderful marriage rituals don't we? We collect our loved ones to celebrate with us. We sing songs and read poetry, take pictures, wear new cloths and have a special cake. Not so with a divorce. A cold courtroom with judge and lawyer. No pictures. No cake. No ritual.

Perhaps we need a new ritual. What if during her wedding we honored Nan's strength and truth, the very traits that enable her to step into her new marriage more happy than I have ever known her to be. What if we honored my sister's bravery and her power, the very traits that enable her to walk in new shoes, on her own and in her own way. What if there were a ritual to honor our intention to be whole and happy in life - what would that look like?

Today I will light a candle for Nan and my sister to honor the way they choose to be in the world, and in recognition of how their ability to truly love themselves empowers me. A cause for celebration if ever there were one.

No comments: